RE: Oracle RAC cluster and RHEL upgrade

From: <cgrabowy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:34:46 -0400

Hi Pierre,

Excellent.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my email.

Chris

From: Pierre Labrousse <Pierre.Labrousse_at_digora.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2024 10:11 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; cgrabowy_at_gmail.com Subject: RE: Oracle RAC cluster and RHEL upgrade

Hi Chris,

I've already done this upgrade.

No need to remove node from cluster. Just stop crs stack and also rdbms stack (databases), disable crs stack and reboot linux node, update Redhat 7 to be up-to-date, then install Leap and do upgrade to Redhat 8, and then you have to relink all binaries of Grid Infrastructure and RDBMS software (follow note MOS 1536057.1).

Maybe you will have to configure again oracleasm after upgrade.

You could do that node by node, so no interruption of service.

Best regards.

Pierre

De : oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
<oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> > de
la part de cgrabowy_at_gmail.com <mailto:cgrabowy_at_gmail.com>
<cgrabowy_at_gmail.com <mailto:cgrabowy_at_gmail.com> >
Envoyé : mercredi 27 mars 2024 14:34
À : oracle-l_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
<oracle-l_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> >
Objet : Oracle RAC cluster and RHEL upgrade

Hello all,

We are currently upgrading all of the database servers from RHEL7 to RHEL8.

Has anyone RHEL7 to RHEL8 upgraded an Oracle RAC cluster?

Perhaps one node at a time?

Remove the node from the cluster, upgrade it, and add it back to the cluster.

Or

Remove the node from the cluster, wipe it, install RHEL8, install Oracle, etc.

Did anyone have good or bad experiences with this approach?

We are considering this approach since the new hardware is late and they want to stay on schedule....

TIA Chris