RE: Oracle RAC cluster and RHEL upgrade

From: <cgrabowy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 16:03:04 -0400

Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding.

The hardware is delayed so there is a push to close on the RHEL upgrade project on time. And then the hardware upgrade can be its own project.

Thanks,

Chris

From: Michael Pecoraro <mikejp_at_buffalo.edu> Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2024 10:47 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; cgrabowy_at_gmail.com Subject: Re: Oracle RAC cluster and RHEL upgrade

Chris,

We just completed a project where we moved our Oracle database clusters from OL7 to new hardware running OL8. We upgraded nine clusters each with between two to six nodes. We have clusters running RAC One Node policy managed databases and RAC admin managed databases. In both cases we built the new OL8 hosts then added them to the clusters using Fleet Patching and Provisioning (FPP). The RAC One Node policy managed databases were relocated to the new nodes, then the old nodes were removed using FPP. The RAC admin managed database instances were stopped, configured for the new nodes, and started in a rolling fashion. Then the old nodes were removed. There was no user visible outage during the rolling RAC database maintenance. We are very happy with how that process went.

Our process is slightly different than your option #2, but if you prefer a fresh install of RHEL8 over an OS upgrade, your option #2 should work well. It would be nice to kill two birds with one stone by upgrading your hardware at the same time, but you can use the process above to move to that new hardware once it is available. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Mike

Michael J Pecoraro

Database Administrator | Enterprise Infrastructure Services University at Buffalo Information Technology (UBIT)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
<oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> > on
behalf of cgrabowy_at_gmail.com <mailto:cgrabowy_at_gmail.com>
<cgrabowy_at_gmail.com <mailto:cgrabowy_at_gmail.com> >
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2024 9:34 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
<oracle-l_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> >
Subject: Oracle RAC cluster and RHEL upgrade

[You don't often get email from cgrabowy_at_gmail.com
<mailto:cgrabowy_at_gmail.com> . Learn why this is important at
https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

Hello all,

We are currently upgrading all of the database servers from RHEL7 to RHEL8.

Has anyone RHEL7 to RHEL8 upgraded an Oracle RAC cluster?

Perhaps one node at a time?

Remove the node from the cluster, upgrade it, and add it back to the cluster.

Or

Remove the node from the cluster, wipe it, install RHEL8, install Oracle, etc.

Did anyone have good or bad experiences with this approach?

We are considering this approach since the new hardware is late and they want to stay on schedule....

TIA Chris

--
https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freelis
ts.org%2Fwebpage%2Foracle-l <http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l>