Re: DOS Oracle DBA authorization problem.

From: Glenn Nicholas <Glenn_at_wplace.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 21:37:19 +0000

In article <1994May9.105751.1_at_icrf.icnet.uk> c_burns_at_icrf.icnet.uk writes:

:Not sure if this is a DOS or Oracle problem, but here goes..
:I've just installed Oracle on my Double-Spaced DOS 6.2 drive; SQLPME
:works OK, as does the ORACLE6 command, but when I try to SQLDBA STARTUP
:it complains of ORA-1031 - Insufficient privileges and refuses to start
:the database. I've got the correct DBA_AUTHORIZATION line in my config.ora
:file, and Oracle finds this file OK, but seems to ignore the password!
:Supplying the password on the 'startup' command line doesn't seem to work
:either..
:
:Has anybody had this problem before, or can guess what might be happening??

We configured a demo machine using double space - a bad idea, as the database fell over and we blamed it on Doublespace. We put Oracle on a non-compressed drive (we didn't bother trying to separate the database files and the executables, but I expect this may work). I think Oracle may do something clever in the disk writing department which could be less than compatible with DoubleSpace.

BTW - is DoubleSpace still supported by Microsoft? Check it out, you may wish to look into another disk compression utility. Even then, perhaps discuss the issue with Oracle support to see whether it will work.

--
Glenn Nicholas.