RE: Characterset Question

From: Scott Canaan <"Scott>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 12:13:35 +0000

I honestly never thought my question would start a philosophical discussion.

Scott Canaan ‘88
Sr Database Administrator
Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration
Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520
srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu> | c: (585) 339-8659

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2024 7:09 PM To: Maxim <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>; lsantos_at_pobox.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Characterset Question

On Wed, 2024-03-27 at 16:20 +0100, Maxim wrote: Mio years ago is very recently it technologies evolve very quickly (in human terms), so ASCII7 might be considered paleozoic from the point of view Unicode standard version 15.1.0, my son might consider me as paleozoic (ancient) from his point of view, whereas i consider myself at the relatively young lifestage...

But thoughts, the slave of life,
and life, time’s fool,
And time, that takes survey of
all the world, Must have a stop.

(Shakespeare, Henry IV)

Admittedly, we are in some strange waters given that this an Oracle list. I wonder what will the people of the next geological period say about this debate, if there are any.

--

Mladen Gogala
Database SME

--