RE: Characterset Question

From: Clay Jackson <"Clay>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:25:40 +0000

Ha! You guys are all kids! I was born 10 years before USASCII, back when “programming” was moving cables around on a plugboard and “bugs” really did crawl.

Clay Jackson
Database Solutions Sales Engineer
[cid:image001.jpg_at_01DA8020.59621580]<https://www.quest.com/solutions/database-performance-monitoring/>
clay.jackson_at_quest.com<mailto:clay.jackson_at_quest.com> office 949-754-1203 mobile 425-802-9603

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Maxim Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2024 8:20 AM To: lsantos_at_pobox.com
Cc: gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Characterset Question

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not follow guidance, click links, or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Everything depends on the point of view of observer. In human terms paleozoic means very ancient, however, from the point of view of the Earth (in geological sense) 500 Mio years ago is very recently it technologies evolve very quickly (in human terms), so ASCII7 might be considered paleozoic from the point of view Unicode standard version 15.1.0, my son might consider me as paleozoic (ancient) from his point of view, whereas i consider myself at the relatively young lifestage...

Coincidences in overlapping of time scalas of geological evolution, human evolution and it evolution should be considered to be only coincidences, nothing more... (imho)

“Time is relative; its only worth depends upon what we do as it is passing.” ― Albert Einstein

Regards

Maxim

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 1:33 PM Luis Claudio Dias dos Santos <lsantos_at_pobox.com<mailto:lsantos_at_pobox.com>> wrote: Mladen, please think about the beginning of Earth and the Paleozoic Era. And now about IT beginning. The comparison is not too far from reality for the sixties.

I was born in 1971. No problem about being myself from the Mesozoic. 😀
[https://thumbs.about.me/thumbnail/users/l/c/d/lcdsantos_emailsig.jpg?_1564939965_592]<https://about.me/lcdsantos?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel&utm_content=thumb>

Luis Santos
about.me/lcdsantos <https://about.me/lcdsantos?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel&utm_content=thumb>

Em ter., 26 de mar. de 2024 às 17:23, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com<mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>> escreveu: On Tue, 2024-03-26 at 11:52 -0300, Luis Claudio Dias dos Santos wrote: After RDBMS 12.2 you can have your CDB with AL32UTF8 (the definitive default) but a PDB with any charset you want, even paleozoic US7ASCII.

Paleozoic US7ASCII? Are implying that I am Paleozoic as well? US7ASCII is 2 years younger than me. The standard was established in 1963 and I was born in 1961. I haven't been so sad since my pet cave bear has died.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database SME

image001.jpg