Re: Top (<=10) Issues faced by Oracle DBAs Deploying in a SAN/NAS

From: zhu chao <chao_ping_at_vip.163.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:04:40 -0800

Hi, gaja

    I post the feedback to list and hope others can also cc a copy to the list so that we share our experience.

    My small database runs on a small basic san: two database on V880/E4500 and two standby server , share a storage which is consistent of 4*Sun T3, with 2 FC-switch.     Our pains we suffer:

  1. Must have DMP or something like that configured. Or one path fail, database fail. Controller fail is not someting rare.We have an 2 hours outage once because of failed controller on T3 and unproper DMP config.

    2.We have raid10 for production and raid5 for standby database.

    3.Sun T3(under control of VxVM/VXFS) is really poor in disk performance.We have 9(4-4 mirror, one standby) as raid1 with 1G cache.300+random IO(blocksize 8k) satured the storage.90+% busy and iowait 30+%

    4. SAN Zone is not configured here and all server can see all the disks. This gives flexible control but harder to manage.

    5. Our basic SAN is not a really SAN. We still use one server to have exclusive control of one T3.So , some T3 are extreme busy while other T3 are basicaly idle. THis waste resource.But as we do not have another software layer, we used SAN just for Failover, any host can take over any storage.

Regrads
Zhu Chao.

Author: zhu chao
  INET: chao_ping_at_vip.163.com