Top (<=10) Issues faced by Oracle DBAs Deploying in a SAN/NAS

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:59:51 -0800

Fellow Listers,

If you don't deal with Oracle databases on SAN/NAS environments, this posting may not interest you. If so, my apologies, please delete this. Otherwise, please read on.

In an effort to better understand what issues you face when deploying an Oracle database in a SAN/NAS environment, I am writing to you to get some "real life" feedback. Although I have a fair idea, where some of the pain lies, it would be much more valuable if you could tell me. Kind of like "From the horse's mouth..."...;-) And I truly meant that as a compliment...:-)

My goal is to fully understand where the "real pain" lies, so that appropriate solutions can be built to alleviate or even eliminate the pain. You can be as broad or narrow in your responses using the following topics as guidelines:

I do really appreciate you taking the time to put your feedback in "black and white". Those of you who take the time and effort to provide feedback, will be entered in a raffle to for some T-shirts and other freebies. Oh, BTW, when you do send your response, please provide your full contact information, so that I know where to mail the goodies.

In the interest of not "flooding the list", please send me your feedback directly to As a courtesy to my fellow listers, I will collate all responses and post a summary in the near future. You can count on me to do that.

Best regards,

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha                    |  E-Mail:
Principal Technical Product Manager      |  Phone: (650)-527-3180
Application Performance Management   |  Web:
Veritas Corporation                             |

Do you Yahoo!?
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
Author: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051