Re: Top (<=10) Issues faced by Oracle DBAs Deploying in a SAN/NAS

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:59:51 -0800

NAS mistakes:

  1. Not dedicating two (or more) network segments to NAS access only, segregated from other uses
    > * Should you just plug a NAS into a general-purpose LAN and start connecting
    > servers to it?
    > * Why would more than one network port on a server using NAS storage be a good
    > idea?
    > * Why are two (or more, not one) dedicated network segments a good idea?
  2. Not placing data structures like online redo logfiles, RBS/UNDO datafiles, ³lk<DBNAME>² file, and at least one controlfile on direct-attach HDD or SAN
    > * If there is a policy to place all ³corporate data² on the shared storage
    > (NAS), then surely redo, RBS/UNDO etc should not be considered ³corporate
    > data²
    > * Often, the ³lk<DBNAME>² mount lock file in the ³$ORACLE_HOME/dbs² directory
    > should be placed on direct-attach HDD or SAN, else ORA-27086 can happen
    >> * Oracle documentation mentions resolution of ORA-27806 by running unlocking >> commands on NetApps console, but the best solution is prevention...
  3. Not placing file-systems like user home directories, ORACLE_HOME, admin/log/trc, APPL_TOP, etc on the NAS and placing heavily-accessed datafiles on direct-attach HDD or SAN
    > * Why not place low-demand file-systems on the lower-performance storage and
    > high-demand file-systems on higher-performance storage?

My $0.02...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com