Re: Multiple block sizes

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:59:44 -0800

I'm not there yet, at least not in production, but I am looking forward to putting thousands of small (actually empty) tables and indexes of Peoplesoft Financials into a 2K tablespace. Not that they will ever occupy any room in the buffer pool, but just for the savings in disk space (and backup time until we go to RMAN and incremental backups). 10,000 tables occupying 2 2K blocks instead of 2 8K blocks is a savings of almost 120M. In order not to waste the 2K buffer pool I'll find a few suitable lookup tables that could benefit from what will then be a keep pool.

At 07:44 AM 9/25/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I think putting your small tables to 2K block size is quite pointless
>(unless you have tens of thousands of these tables continously in buffer
>cache).
>
>Tanel.

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA