RE: DISK configuration - help please.

From: Lyall Barbour <lbarbour_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:43:17 -0700

I already answered this, but...........

Raid 5 is fine for selects (as someone else said is these posts) put the problems arise when inserts, updates, and deletes are done on them. If you have a On-Line Transaction Processing database, with millions of inserts per minute (a friend used to work for a phone company and they tracked and worked with all the calling card calls going on around the US) then writing to a datafile that is mirrored on 2 or 3 or 4 disks plus any extra disks for that parity bit (as you can see I'm still not totally up on the SysAdmin terms for these raid configurations :)), that's a lot of place to be writing information when doing those kinds of DML processes. Not to mention Redo Log being written too even more then that!

Woo-Hoo!

Anyways, that's it.

Lyall Barbour