Re: DISK configuration - help please.

From: Larry Holder <lholder_at_utm.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:17:06 -0500

>At 11:17 AM 8/17/00 -0800, Steve McClure wrote:

>>I am not going to be much help in regards to your initial question, but I am
>>wondering what is wrong with RAID 5? I have had alot of success with that
>>configuration in the past. What am I missing?

While Raid-5 certainly works, it reduces your ability to separate various I/O's between volumes. For example, if you want to isolate the serial writing of redo logs from the random read/writes against a datafile. If they're both part of the same Raid-5 group of disks, they're not isolated from eachother.
Disk is relatively cheap, and so we opted for RAID-1. Every disk is mirrored by another disk on an other controller. Whenever we add disk space, we just buy 'em in pairs.

Peace,

Larry Holder
Senior Systems Analyst, Oracle Database Administrator The University of Tennessee at Martin Computer Center lholder_at_utm.edu (901) 587-7890 www.utm.edu/~lholder Saved by grace <>< Romans 8:38-39 Received on Fri Aug 18 2000 - 12:17:06 CDT