Oracle Advanced Compression
Oracle Advanced Compression is an option of the Oracle 11g database (separately licensed) that allows data in the database to be compressed.
Oracle Advanced Compression offers the following advantages:
- OLTP compression - allows structured and unstructured data to be compressed on INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE operations.
- RMAN Backup Compression - compress RMAN backups
- Datapump export compression - compress datapump export files
- SecureFiles Deduplication - detect and eliminate duplicate copies of files stored within the database.
- SecureFiles Compression - compress unstructured file data within the database
- Network Traffic Compression - compress Data Guard (standby database) redo data as it is sent over the network
Create a new compressed table:
SQL> create table emp2 compress for all operations 2 as select * from emp; Table created.
Alter existing table to enable compression:
SQL> alter table emp compress for all operations; Table altered.