Re: Huge Swap area being used despite having available ram (Solaris 8 , ora9.2.)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2005 15:08:31 -0800

GeoPappas wrote:
> << No, virtual memory is not ONLY used after physical memory is used
> up.
> Pages are being faulted to disk based upon the Least Recently Used
> algorithm most O/Ses implemented. >>
>
> Can you provide a link or documentation for what you are saying? I
> would love to learn about this some more...

Going to sun.com and entering solaris swap in the search box brings up gems like http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/itworld/UIR980701perf.html . I'm sure there is more on the subject googling usenet groups.

In times past, some unix required swap space to be available in case it needed to be used. I'm not familiar with sol8 so I don't know if that is what you are seeing, but it might not be an issue there.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Oops!  Typo in another .sig, should have been http://www.bongosoft.com