Re: Can I create a database via oracle client?

From: Goran <goran99_remove_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:32:44 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message news:9uo4m09300nkomaim2jvqmebcnpkl337gq_at_4ax.com...
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:38:09 +0200, Markus Innerebner
> <markusin_at_yahoo.de> wrote:
>
>>Dear collegs,
>>
>>I want to know, if there is a way to create a database with sqlplus via
>>oracle client. I realized the problem, that for the connection to the
>>server it is mandatory the connectionString(hoststring) that contains an
>>SID.
>>That meens, that without an existing database, I am not able to get a
>>connection to the oracle server via sqlplus.
>>
>>Is there a way, that I can do it.
>>I would not do it with DBCA, because this should be done via a sql script.
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>best regards Markus
>
> Obviously using a connection string won't work. It won't work because
> you will need to have an instance, and a listener listening for that
> instance.
> The only way is to do it in sql*plus is *locally* *on the server* with
> *ORACLE_SID* set.

Actually, you don't need an instance nor a database to connect to db server; you need to have installation of oracle software, a listener for a future instance, proper init and password files and *dump directories created. You can connect "sys/pwd_at_xxx as sysdba" (listener starts dedicated server process), start an instance (startup nomount), create database etc... as if you were "on" the machine.

Regards... Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 07:32:44 CDT