Re: Can I create a database via oracle client?

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 07:28:39 -0500

Reply embedded . . .

\On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:43:49 +0200, Markus Innerebner <markusin_at_yahoo.de> wrote:

>hello Sybrand
>thanks for your advice
>
>> I'm getting curious: is there any particular reason, other than out of
>> lack of knowledge, why you *insist* that you need to be capable to
>> create *instances* (as opposed to databases) *on-the-fly*.
>> Do you understand how Oracle implemented the *database* concept,ie not
>> in the same fashion as sqlserver, as sybase, as informix, as db2?
>> Probably not!
>I understand, that Oracle implements the database concept differently
>that a simple database like mysql, but honestly I do not know it
>exactly. Where can I find a good description, how oracle implements his
> database?
>
>I was asking this question, because in our company we would install a db
>instance via a client. Thats the reason.
Ok, let's try again .... why does your company insist that you need to be capable to create *instances* (as opposed to databases) *on-the-fly*. You didn't anwer the question, you simply showed that you had not bothered to investigate it.

>In our company there was a propose for a good oracle book. Can you give
>me a good advise, which book to buy?

*A* good book? There's bookstores full of them but first go to tahiti.oracle.com and register for a free OTN account. There you will find all of the official Oracle docs, online and free for the reading. Start with the Concepts Guide. After that I'd suggest Tom Kyte's "Oracle Expert One-on-One." First three chapters should be required reading for all DBA's, Developers, analysts, architects, and their managers.