Re: Can I create a database via oracle client?

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:47:34 +0200

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:32:44 +0200, "Goran" <goran99_remove_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Actually, you don't need an instance nor a database to connect to db server;
>you need to have installation of oracle software, a listener for a future
>instance, proper init and password files and *dump directories created.
>You can connect "sys/pwd_at_xxx as sysdba" (listener starts dedicated server
>process), start an instance (startup nomount), create database etc... as if
>you were "on" the machine.
>
>Regards...

Ever tried it? I guess not.
Apart from that, don't you think that creating a database has ramifications on the resource consumption on the server. Oh, now I see: you continue to create databases this way until the server suffocates and then you start to blame Oracle.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA