Re: TNS Protocol Error from SQLPlus within local server

From: buckeye234 <member_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:19:15 +0000

If you don't want to specify the 'Host String' when using SQLPlus, then you have to set the environment variable ORACLE_SID. Since multiple instances can exist on one machine, SQLPlus has to have some way of knowing which instance to connect to. Even if there is only one instance, Oracle does not assume that this is the one you want to connect to.

If you did have ORACLE_SID set, then there is some other problem. If this is the case, please provide information on what OS your using, it's version and the exact error message you are receiving.

HTH,
Patrick
Originally posted by Kapal Mo
> With a new Oracle 817 server install, when connecting using
> SQLPlus on the
> local machine, leaving the Host String as blank, I get a TNS Protocol
> error. However, looking at the tnsnames.ora file, used the SID
> name on the
> Host String, I was able to connect. I suspect that since I did
> a custom
> install of the Enterprise Edition, I forgot to install a
> component that a
> loopback connection would require.

Thanks.