RE: simulate rman backup

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2024 14:48:32 -0400

So, you also want compress in the pipe before the wc –c.

When I did standby recovery before rman existed, I always did read and checksum of the results as part of the backup stream. If RMAN is doing that it might fail trying to read the destination pipe…

I think Tim’s solution will work except for the compress part, but it should give the ceiling size and I wonder how compressible USED Oracle blocks are.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lewis Sent: Friday, July 19, 2024 1:21 PM
To: ORACLE-L (oracle-l_at_freelists.org) Subject: Re: simulate rman backup

No idea if this could work, but how about creating a pipe (mknod) start a process reading the pipe (e.g. wc to count bytes), then backup to the pipe.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

(From my iPad mini; please excuse typos and auto-correct)

On 19 Jul 2024, at 15:45, Laurentiu Oprea <laurentiu.oprea06_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Validate -> is there a way to run validate as compressed backupset? :)

I tried to run with /dev/null - I tried with both disk channels format /dev/null and with SBT BAKCUP_DIR=/dev/null in both situation is giving an I/O error: ora-27037

În vin., 19 iul. 2024 la 17:27, jacques kostic <jacques.kostic_at_gmail.com> a scris:

Yes you can,

Output the channel into/dev/null

Jko

Le 19 juillet 2024 16:13:42 Laurentiu Oprea <laurentiu.oprea06_at_gmail.com> a écrit :

Dear all,

Out of curiosity, is there a way to simulate a rman backup run ? The purpose will be to simulate a backup execution without actually writing any files just to observe how big a compressed backup will be.

Most probably officially this is not supported but anyone has any crazy idea how to achieve this? :)

Thank you.