Re: simulate rman backup

From: Jonathan Lewis <jlewisoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2024 18:21:24 +0100

No idea if this could work, but how  about creating a pipe (mknod) start a process reading the pipe (e.g. wc to count bytes), then backup to the pipe.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
(From my iPad mini; please excuse typos and auto-correct)

On 19 Jul 2024, at 15:45, Laurentiu Oprea <laurentiu.oprea06_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Validate -> is there a way to run validate as compressed backupset? :)

I tried to run with /dev/null - I tried with both disk channels format /dev/null and with SBT BAKCUP_DIR=/dev/null in both situation is giving an I/O error: ora-27037

În vin., 19 iul. 2024 la 17:27, jacques kostic <jacques.kostic_at_gmail.com> a scris:
Yes you can,

Output the channel into/dev/null

Jko

Le 19 juillet 2024 16:13:42 Laurentiu Oprea <laurentiu.oprea06_at_gmail.com> a écrit :

Dear all,

Out of curiosity, is there a way to simulate a rman backup run ? The purpose will be to simulate a backup execution without actually writing any files just to observe how big a compressed backup will be.

Most probably officially this is not supported but anyone has any crazy idea how to achieve this? :)

Thank you.