Re: ASM and VMWARE

From: Mark Burgess <"Mark>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2024 07:16:39 +1000

You want to be using shared VMDK for your ASM storage if possible. Whilst you can use LUN's passed through from the SAN (known as RDM storage in VMWARE) it can introduce limitations around what VMWare features you can use (vmotion, snapshots etc).

We also observed strange problems when extending single RDM LUN's where ASM does not like the mismatch in size between instance and will trigger an eviction.

My recommendation would be to go with shared VMDK (start with 4 x shared VMDK based on how much  storage you need) and then extend your storage by adding VMDK to the disk group as you go.