Re: ASM and VMWARE

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2024 10:51:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Ed,
one large LUN maybe enough if your databases are some playground database with almost no I/O but as soon as you put a little bit of I/O pressure on the database(s) you have to have more LUNs due to full disk queue issues on the OS layer (inside the VM).

If your disk queue becomes full (let's say your disk queue is 256 and you only have one LUN) and the DBWR tries to write some dirty blocks it will wait on "db file async I/O submit" which is usually a non-blocking system call io_submit().

Finally, you can get nasty wait chains like these if your I/O load reaches a certain level and you have a busy app :

Long story short: Spread the I/O load over multiple LUNs.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK