Re: AU size for multi-TB DB

From: Jon Crisler <joncrisler_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 10:41:52 -0400

The AU size in ASM is set per ASM diskgroup. For your 100 tb system, something like 4 mb should be sufficient. I have tested in a fiber channel environment and did not notice a significant difference going higher than 4 mb. For a 700 tb size, I would start a bit higher, at least 8 to 16 mb.  In a Dataguard environment, try to make sure all systems have the same AU. It will work with different values, but there is a chance you can run into unexplained performance issues and the targets fall behind. This is most noticeable with high rates of changes for LOBs and Secure files, where a DG related query starts doing a full table scan into ASM. If you are doing a migration using DG then you may have no choice if the old source system is not at the AU you desire. Also try to get the ASM compatibility levels as high as possible, because these have an effect on performance as well. My workaround for the really odd DG-LOB apply lag was to update the ASM compat levels to 19.0.0.0. As far as I know, there is no easy way to change an existing AU setting, other than to copy all objects to a new diskgroup. Lastly, remember the tablespace limit is dependent on the block size of the diskgroup and the db_cache. To get above 32 tb you need to add higher block sizes. 8k=32tb limit up to 32k=128tb. I have not checked if this has changed in 21c+. Kind regards
Jon Crisler