RE: Oracle 19c Cloud Control and Red Hat 9 [(also Auto Start as a Systemd Service on Linux 7 and Above ? (Doc ID 2973130.1)]

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:21:32 -0500

In the sea of documentation, having this in the oracle-l thread explicitly labelled might useful, so I added a little to the subject line.

Thanks Scott, for a usefully framed question, and Jon and Mladen for excellently clear answers.

I do wish they could add “customize_and_optimize” into the filename string a few more times! (NOT).

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2024 6:39 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Oracle 19c Cloud Control and Red Hat 9

On Wed, 2024-02-21 at 01:21 -0500, Jon Crisler wrote:

I had to create a systemd boot semi-recently for another oracle product, It turns out the process is not that hard, although it appears at first to be needlessly complex. You could also do an older-style S99xxx script and call it that way, but its deprecated. This is the document and it should be publicly available, but if not I can send you a copy. https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/pdf/using_systemd_unit_files_to_customize_and_optimize_your_system/red_hat_enterprise_linux-9-using_systemd_unit_files_to_customize_and_optimize_your_system-en-us.pdf

Jon, Ex-IBM and RedHat.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 2:03 PM Scott Canaan <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> wrote:

We are in the process of setting up a test environment in Red Hat 9 for Oracle 19c. We have the database software installed and running and we have the Cloud Control agent installed (13.5) and running. However, what we don’t have is a “systemd boot service” to start the Cloud Control agent. The sys admin I’m working with said that it should have been in the rpm that I generated, but it isn’t. I don’t know how to generate one or if he has to write it himself.

Where do I find the “systemd boot service” for the Cloud Control 13.5 agent?

Thank you,

Scott Canaan ‘88
Sr Database Administrator
Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration

Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520

srcdco_at_rit.edu | c:(585) 339-8659

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that! The proper documentation for systemd is long overdue and I believe that we will eventually get a new sendmail book (the "bat book" from O'Reilly). The documentation you provided is useful to me despite the fact that I've been writing services for a long time:

https://dbwhisperer.wordpress.com/2019/05/05/systemd-service-to-start-stop-oracle/

However, Scott has ready-made services to start, as indicated on Oracle support page.

Regards

--

Mladen Gogala

Database SME