Re: Oracle 19c Cloud Control and Red Hat 9

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 06:38:58 -0500

On Wed, 2024-02-21 at 01:21 -0500, Jon Crisler wrote:
> I had to create a systemd boot semi-recently for another oracle product,
> It turns out the process is not that hard, although it appears at first
> to be needlessly complex.   You could also do an older-style S99xxx
> script and call it that way, but its deprecated.    This is the document
> and it should be publicly available, but if not I can send you a copy.
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/pdf/using_systemd_unit_files_to_customize_and_optimize_your_system/red_hat_enterprise_linux-9-using_systemd_unit_files_to_customize_and_optimize_your_system-en-us.pdf
>
> Jon, Ex-IBM and RedHat.
>
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 2:03 PM Scott Canaan
> <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> wrote:
> >

> > We are in the process of setting up a test environment in Red Hat 9 for
> > Oracle 19c.  We have the database software installed and running and we
> > have the Cloud Control agent installed (13.5) and running.  However,
> > what we don’t have is a “systemd boot service” to start the Cloud
> > Control agent.  The sys admin I’m working with said that it should have
> > been in the rpm that I generated, but it isn’t.  I don’t know how to
> > generate one or if he has to write it himself.
> >
> > Where do I find the “systemd boot service” for the Cloud Control 13.5
> > agent?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Scott Canaan ‘88
> > Sr Database Administrator
> > Information & Technology Services
> > Finance & Administration
> > Rochester Institute of Technology
> > o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520
> > srcdco_at_rit.edu | c:(585) 339-8659
> >
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including
> > attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it
> > is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
> > Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of
> > any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
> > other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
> > in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
> > information.

Hi Jon,
Thanks for that! The proper documentation for systemd is long overdue and I believe that we will eventually get a new sendmail book (the "bat book" from O'Reilly). The documentation you provided is useful to me despite the fact that I've been writing services for a long time: https://dbwhisperer.wordpress.com/2019/05/05/systemd-service-to-start-stop-oracle/ However, Scott has ready-made services to start, as indicated on Oracle support page.
Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database SME