Re: Synchronous Redo Transport Maximum Availability || Datagaurd

From: Jon Crisler <joncrisler_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 01:03:01 -0500

If the Dataguard config was done with the DG Broker, then it would be easier to change the protection mode via the broker as described at https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/DGBKR/cli.htm#GUID-82319941-58E8-4672-8609-7CC496D3DC29 Anytime the redo transport is using SYNC, it will have some impact when there is a data change involved. except in the case of MAXAVAILABILITY when the standby db is down. Just run the DG change during off-hours to be safe. If you DEFER the destination then the redo logs will not ship. When using SYNC, the transaction has to be committed on the primary and at least one standby, so every insert/update/delete will have a wait component while the data is being shipped and applied. You do not mention Active Dataguard, or network speed and latency, or use of FARSYNC, and any of these affect the outcome. But in normal conditions the SYNC has a penalty . Now, if you are doing the DEFER on a daily basis, I think you would be better off just using MAXPERFORMANCE 100% of the time. If the DEFER is only for occasional use and you are not using MAXPROTECTION then I do not have a firm opinion on the impact, as it has been a while since I tested that combination.

Sorry if this is not a clear opinion , but there are different tolerances for DG lag, protection modes and possibility of data loss.