RE: [Q] Online rebuild index danger or NOT???

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:02:05 -0400

First, what's the motivation for rebuilding your indexes at all? In general, regularly scheduled index rebuilds are a good way to keep DBAs busy and burn CPU and I/O, but probably don't buy you much. There are a few exceptions, though. Do a google search for "Rebuilding the truth" and "richard foote".

However, to answer your question, I can't think of any reason online rebuilds are dangerous. If the rebuild is justified, and you're on a production system, an online rebuild could really be a huge relief, not having to take down time. Ask your vendor to state a specific reason to avoid online rebuilds.

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies ProQuest

ProQuest...Start here.