Re: Locally Managed Tablespaces

From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:46:05 +0000 (GMT)

I'll be happy with auto when Oracle publish the extent size algorithm.

Sure we can work it out roughly - but if its not published, then by definition, its impossible to guarantee that a tablespace has sufficient space for a segment to extend.

eg lets say Oracle change their algorithm to skip the 8m extent size, so it goes 64k,1m,64m. You might have a tablespace with 60M free space in it, and you'll happily be thinking "yep, that one is ok" and then BAMM! Users start getting 'unable to extend errors'

Cheers
Connor

> I do not overly worry about the number of extents either - at least not
> as long as I can grasp them with one look without having to divide them
> into groups of 3. What I do worry about is the rate at which extents get
> added and if you have transaction tables (as opposed to more static
> setup or warehouse type tables) you likely have a growth pattern which
> is correlated to the size (or probably more accurately vice versa). I
> like to size the uniform extents such that a growing table adds between
> 1-30 extents per month (anywhere between once a month and once a day,
> although the latter is already too much for my liking).
>
> I'll have to read that ask tom link.
>
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>

> > I guess my bias is that I really, really don't care how many extents
> > my segment has (at least if I did have tens of thousands i'd be
> > worrying about partitioning instead) and so I see no reason to use
> > auto.
> >
> --
> Regards
>
> Wolfgang Breitling
> Centrex Consulting Corporation
> www.centrexcc.com

Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions" ISBN: 1590592174 web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish, and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free! http://my.yahoo.com