Re: Re: max parallel query

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:59:42 -0800

Netapp is NAS afaik, that means a bunch of disks used over fast network. SAN is a bunch of disks used over SCSI or Fibre interface (EMC Clariion for example). I tend to trust and appreciate SAN more than NAS, but NAS can be more cost effective in small-to medium environments.

What I meant, is that if you have let say 16 disks striped & mirrored with SAME, it doesn't improve your performance if you split your stripe to two paritions (mount point) instead of just one partition.

Async IO basically enables Oracle processes to deal with other useful stuff when waiting on writing or reading data to/from disk. Also, operating system kernel can often make some IO optimizations in case of async IO.

Read more about it:
http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/use_asynchronous_io.htm

Tanel.

> i dont manage the netapp and am not a hardware person. could you explain a
> little better? Is netapp similiar to SAN?
>
> what is asynch I/O?

max_parallel_server

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee