drop tablespace temp INCLUDING CONTENTS hang

From: Guang Mei <gmei_at_incyte.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:49:49 -0800

Hi:

Oracle 8173 on Solaris 2.8.

I am trying to convert temp tablespace to LMT. My plan is to

1.create another temp tablespace temp123
2.move all users to temp123
3.alter tablespace temp offline
4.drop tablespace temp
5.re-create temp tablespace as LMT
6.move all users to temp
7.drop tablespace temp123.

But I am having problem in Step4. I found that there are still some objects in temp ts even if I put it offline:

SYS_at_remax-SQL> select count(*) from dba_segments where tablespace_name='TEMP';

  COUNT(*)

         1

"drop tablespace temp" resulted in "ORA-01549 tablespace not empty, use INCLUDING CONTENTS option". However when I did

drop tablespace temp INCLUDING CONTENTS;

the sqlplus session just hang and I kept getting the same count(*) from the following query (from another session)

SYS_at_remax-SQL> select count(*) from fet$ where ts# = 3;

  COUNT(*)

       214

I eventually killed the orginal sqlplus session.

I did "ALTER TABLESPACE TEMP coalesce" and it did not seem to help.

So my question is: How can I drop an offlined temp tablespace when there is still segment(s) in it?

I don't know if SMON would clean up the temp ts automatically (Some doc says SMON would not do to TEMP ts). I also read that I could issue

alter session set events 'immediate trace name DROP_SEGMENTS level 3';

to mimic SMON, becuase

SYS_at_remax-SQL> select name, ts# from ts$ where NAME='TEMP';

NAME                                  TS#
TEMP                                    2

But I am not ready to try it on our production system. Has anyone tries this or has any suggestions? I don't want to bounce db. Would the objects in TEMP ts be cleaned up by SMON if I wait for a couple of days?

TIA. Guang

Author: Guang Mei
  INET: gmei_at_incyte.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 16 2003 - 15:49:49 CDT