RE: backup problem

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:14:44 -0800

LeRoy

   One of my bigger concerns, right up there with asteroids that may strike the earth at any moment, is that no backup can be trusted until it has been tested. Yes, you can use RMAN to back up your database from here forward. But it will be a more complex task, hence more prone to exactly the problem you illustrate. So you shouldn't trust that until you've tested recovery with it. And that will take some time. My recommendation would be:

  1. Fix your existing backup process.
  2. Test recovery with your existing backup process.
  3. Learn more about B&R.
  4. Configure RMAN
  5. Test RMAN recovery.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: LeRoy Kemnitz
  INET: lkemnitz_at_uwsa.edu

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 16 2003 - 15:14:44 CDT