Re: XDB,Context questions

From: Govindan K <gkatteri_at_zuvio.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:59:24 -0800

Not sure if this reached the list. ReSending.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:15:11 , Govindan K <gkatteri_at_zuvio.com> sent:

>You need to use XMLType datatype / as CLOB.
>
>Check these links:
>http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96620/toc.htm
>
>and within that (for storing data) refer to
>http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96620/xdb04cre.htm#1035571
>
>You can use XPATH and CONTEXT searches to search. sqlldr can be used to load data.
>Don't know how to handle MS-Word. Becase if it is kept as BLOB or BFILE then search cannot
>be used. It needs to be stored as XMLTYPE/CLOB.
>
>check the link http://otn.oracle.com/sample_code/tutorials/cmsxdb/maintoc.htm
>for understanding Oracle XML DB.
>
>There is plenty of stuff in http://otn.oracle.com/tech/xml/content.html.
>
>HTH
>GovindanK
>

>On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:54 , becker.bill_at_marshfieldclinic.org sent:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>We are starting to investigate different methods of searching
>>large medical documents for key words or phrases. The documents may
>>be text, html, xml, or MS word documents. The main idea is to search
>>and retrieve a list of documents quickly that match a given medical
>>key word(s) or phrase(s), similar to google or other internet
>>search engines; this is not intended to be an internet application,
>>but strictly an in-house application.
>>
>>I've been reading the Oracle Context and XDB guides, and have several
>>questions.
>>1) Is XDB only for XML documents?
>>2) Is storing/searching a document in XDB faster than using
>> Context and a context index?
>>3) Is there any Oracle tool to convert text, html, ms word documents to
>> XML?
>>4) Context appears to be more flexible (handles text, html, msword and xml),
>> but I'm guessing that XDB is faster for just XML; is that correct?
>>4) Are there other non-Oracle tools that are (in your humble opinion)
>> superior to XDB and Context?
>>
>>Cost is a definite factor.
>>
>>Any other comments regarding XDB, Context or other tools are very welcome.
>>
>>Thanks to any responders.
>>
>>becker.bill_at_marshfieldclinic.org
>>

>>--
>>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net
>>--
>> INET: becker.bill_at_marshfieldclinic.org
>>
>>Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
>>also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
>

>---- Message sent via Zuvio Mail
>Get your own FREE email account with SPAM and Antivirus protection!

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sun Sep 14 2003 - 02:59:24 CDT