RE: Sr. Oracle DBA Needed in Ft. Lauderdale, FL... The DUAL table

From: <Chaim.Katz_at_Completions.Bombardier.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:28:22 -0400

I didn't know that in Oracle8i you can't insert more than one row into dual. How does that work - it still appears as a table in dba objects. (Do you remember when they moved dual from system to sys).

"Steve Orr" <sorr_at_arzoo.com> on 08/18/2000 01:43:43 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Chaim Katz/Completions/Bombardier)

Subject: RE: Sr. Oracle DBA Needed in Ft. Lauderdale, FL... The DUAL table

I don't think it was a "bug" really. It wasn't a pseudo table back then; it was the realy thing and you could actually insert rows with any char value you wanted. Dual had no primary key constraint. If you did an import you would actually insert a second row into the table. If dual had more than one row it was really a "user error."

IMHO,
Steve Orr

Author: Jim Conboy
  INET: Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com

Author: Diana Duncan
  INET: Diana_at_fileFRENZY.com

  INET: Brian_McQuillan_at_gelco.com

Author: Diana Duncan
  INET: Diana_at_fileFRENZY.com

Author: Steve Orr
  INET: sorr_at_arzoo.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in Received on Fri Aug 18 2000 - 15:28:22 CDT