Re: Reminder, blatant ad

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2006 10:59:34 -0800

dawn wrote:

> I agree (I guess it makes sense that I would agree with you agreeing
> with me). While ordering functions (SORT) may be defined on sets,
> those are orderings on values. There is no ordering within the
> relational structure itself.

Sometimes order may be abstracted away, but sometimes it may not. I could give you a list of my children in birth order including their birthdates,
and the order information would be redundant. I can give you a list of the statements that make up my java method, and if you execute the instructions in arbitrary order, you've changed the definition. If you want to put BASIC-style line numbers in there, I'd call that a 30 year regression.

Marshall Received on Sat Feb 04 2006 - 19:59:34 CET

Original text of this message