Enterprise Content Management
Enterprise Content Management (or ECM) allows users to share content across the enterprise, automate document workflow, and consolidate web sites into a single platform.
About 80% of all data is unstructured (doesn't fit into rows and columns). ECM is Oracle's solution for storing unstructured content like documents, web pages, videos, images, etc.
Main products are:
- Content DB Suite (Oracle Content DB or Stellent's Content Server)
- Universal Content Management (UCM)
- Imaging and Process managemet (I/PM)
- Universal Records Management
- Information Rights Management
Although Oracle had content solutions for quite a while, they bought company Stellent for approximately $440 million in November 2006. Today's offerings are a combination of Stellent's products integrated into the Oracle stack.
Some of the provided feature are:
- Check-in and check-out of documents
- Can subscribe to content (notifications)
- Reuse and re-render content to different formats (i.e. render a Word document to HTML)
- Easy to use
Content access methods
Several integration adapters are provided. For example, content can be viewed from:
- A Windows GUI
- Web Browser
- Microsoft Outlook