Re: A real world example

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:03:05 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:pXJEg.49046$pu3.575264_at_ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

> My SSN is not me. It is an arbitrary identifier chosen by the IRS to
> identify tax filings related to my income. It is familiar because I was
> given a little blue card with it inscribed, and I was instructed to
> transcribe it to a variety of documents.

Good point. But the real situation is actually even worse.

First, a side issue. The IRS chooses to use the SSN, but it doesn't assign it. A new SSN is assigned by the SSA (Social Security Administration). Thus, if the SSA screws up, and assigns the same SSN twice, the IRS is now stuck.

The IRS got a key that it is locked into by force of habit, but that is beyond its control, except to the extent that there is formal collaboration between the IRS and the SSA.

All of this may seem beside the point. I think it's right on topic. In essence, a key is natural if "they" assign it, and it's surrogate if "we" assign it. Defining "we" and "they" is beyond the scope of this comment.

I'm leaving aside yet another topic, and that is that an SSN doesn't, technically identidy a person. It identifies a social security account. There is expected to be a one-to-one relationship between (relevant) persons and social security accounts, and that is why some people use it to identify persons. Received on Thu Aug 17 2006 - 13:03:05 CEST

Original text of this message