Re: Why bother with Logical data model?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:11:23 GMT

David Cressey wrote:

> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>

>>Okay, nix the conceptysical. How about a 'New Age' database theory book?
>>Three levels of discourse: the inconceivable, the illogical and the
>>imaginary?
>>
>>Instead of analysis and design, we could have truth stretching to
>>achieve the inconceivable and transcendental meditation to find the third
>>i.

>>But would it sell outside of Washington, Oregon and California? Then
>>again, does the database field even matter outside of those three states?

> I love it! I'm sure it would sell in Massachusetts.
>
> How about the alpha and beta testing?

Alpha?!? Beta?!? Ack!

While we reject all labels on principle, we especially reject these labels for suggesting a male dominance hierarchy.

Testing?!? That has to go too. Testing implies that some databases are wrong. Labelling them as such will hurt their self-esteem and could send them into a spiral of negativity from which they might never escape. We don't want that on our karma. Instead, there are no wrong answers -- merely 'inventive' answers. We don't test. Instead, we observe databases in small groups in a stress-free, encouraging environment.

In fact, we are devoted to the principle of equality and we demand equality of outcome for all databases: no database left behind! I suggest all databases should always have the same response to every query^H^Hstion, and further I suggest it should be a positive affirmation of the question.

Anyone have any suggestions?

How about: "That's a very interesting question and you asked it with beautiful clarity and great diction." ?

> You could have the test team sit down and ponder the database, and explore
> their feelings. If their feelings are good about the product, it's ready
> for release!

Oh, I like that, but we have to rename it. "Test team" just won't do. How about "quality circle" ? The quality circle can sit down and medidate on the database. The more sensitive among the group could describe the aura of the database. However, I have to object to the idea of "good" feelings. Feelings just are.

Instead, I suggest the database is ready for release when the group reaches a spiritual and emotional consensus. The burning of incense or use of aromatic oils is optional and probably best left for those times when the group has difficulty reaching consensus. Received on Fri Aug 11 2006 - 16:11:23 CEST

Original text of this message