Re: Testing relational databases

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 23:55:52 GMT

I already did. Next time pay more attention. I won't repeat myself again: http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/3161496.htm

>>Deciding at whim to alter the logical design of a database (or of anything
>>else for that matter) is sure to lead to something arbitrary and random.
>>Having observed such randomness more often than not, I conclude it is
>>altogether too common.

> Ah, so you observed it in the context of wall-to-wall unit tests, relentless
> code reviews, and frequent releases?
>
> (Gee, this feels like old times!)

Yes, I did. And in other contexts too.

How does the idiot Ambler address the observations Dijkstra made 37 years ago regarding the futility of relying on unit tests? See for instance, EWD268:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD02xx/EWD268.html

Has the idiot demonstrated the least bit of awareness of Dijkstra's argument? Or does Ambler's writing suggest a more blissful condition? Received on Mon Jul 10 2006 - 01:55:52 CEST

Original text of this message