Trouble with importing EXP

From: Caie <the_caie_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Mar 2004 04:55:44 -0800

Oracle wizards and muggles!

I'm on a tight deadline here - any help you can offer is gratefully accepted. Here's the problem:

I'm doing some development with Microsoft ODBC for Oracle via Access (I've not got time to learn PL/SQL and so any code will be with built in Queries, Forms and VBA).

Our client has sent us an Oracle .EXP file with which I had hoped to import into Access in order to create the various objects and actions for testing - creating the ODBC link later on. Upon learning this wasn't a simple import exercise I downloaded a bunch of Oracle 9i files, hoping to make a blank database and import the EXP so I could lift the data out this way. This can be done, am I right?

So far managed to create a database using the "Database Configuration Assistant" selecting a general purpose template set to a Dedicated Server Mode. I originally logged in to the Oracle Enterprise Manager
"stand alone" and added the database to the Network Tree via the
"tnsnames.ora" definition. When trying to import the EXP the console
informed me that I needed to be connected to the Oracle Management Server (OMS) to launch this wizard.

This is the problem. When I try to login to the Enterprise Management Console with a Login to the OMS I need to supply an Administrator, Password and Management Server. What are these fields? I've not set up an Administrator to my knowledge and as the software is downloaded only to my PC what am I supposed to do about a Management server? Is there no way to import the EXP file without some kind of an alternative set up?

When I launch standalone I can see the database in the tree but to connect I need to supply a username and password (I defined a SYS Password and SYSTEM Password but no username).

This is all alien territory to me and time is somewhat of the essence.  I cannot get the ODBC data for a while and need to develop the actions before I get it. If anyone can give me a concise description of what I need to do to get the EXP into an easily accessible format for copying into Access tables I would be eternally grateful (and I'll try and get my bosses to get me on an Oracle training course before they ask me to do anything like this again). If you have any questions feel free to ask as I've hit a brick wall and need answers sharpish!

Caie Received on Tue Mar 16 2004 - 13:55:44 CET

Original text of this message