Re: HELP: What do these ORA codes signify?

From: Vikram Goel <vgoel_at_pts.mot.com>
Date: 1996/01/18

John,

The errors you mentioned in your mail has to do with the setting of the open_cursors value in the init<sid>.ora file for your instance ( usually in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory under unix).

Oracle opens a cursor for every sql statement, even if you did not ask for a explicit cursor. The setting of 'open_cursors' value is per session, therefore if your application has a number of select/ update statements, a new cursor will be opened and if it then reaches the limit, you get the error. The 604 error is a top level catch all for this and other conditions.

To fix this you can try to close all implicit cursors by issuing commits, while processing, or raise the value of the open_cursor parameter.

Hope this helps

Vikram Goel

Sr. DBA

Aerotek Inc.