Re: Oracle Universal Installer

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2001 15:47:44 -0700

"Andrew Bell" <acbell_at_iastate.edu> wrote in message news:<9jhd3l$ous$1_at_news.iastate.edu>...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install the Oracle ODBC driver for Win32. It needs the
> Oracle Installer version 1.7.1.3. All I can find on the Oracle web site is
> 1.7.0.20. Can someone direct me to the appropriate installer?

If you are being prompted that you need a newer version of the installer, you almost certainly are trying to install an improper version of the Oracle ODBC driver.

If you have an 8.1.7 Oracle client, you should be installing the 8.1.7.x Oracle ODBC driver. If you have an 8.1.6 Oracle client, you should be installing the 8.1.6.x Oracle ODBC driver. If you have an 8.1.5 Oracle client, you should be installing the 8.1.5.x ODBC driver.  If you have an 8.0.6 Oracle client, you guessed it, you should be installing the 8.0.6.x Oracle ODBC driver.

When you seem to need a more recent version of the installer, it's almost always the case that you're trying to install a driver into an Oracle home that's too old for it. The 8.1.7.x ODBC driver's are built against the 8.1.7 Oracle client libraries and probably won't work in an 8.1.5 Oracle home.

Justin Cave Received on Tue Jul 24 2001 - 00:47:44 CEST

Original text of this message