Re: ETL tool - insight on Ascential DataStage?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 06:53:26 GMT

In my opinion, OWB does that and a whole lot more.

OWB is designed to start at both warehouse and source modelling (vs 2 sessions in ERWin), then allow mapping between sources and warehouse, define exrtact & load patterns, define translations and transformation (including staged/synchronized tranform). A form of versioning and real time testing is also supported.

Together with Oracle gateways, OWB allows access to a large variety of data sources.

OWB includes the runtime - event management, scheduleing, monitoring - which takes the ETL design and actually invokes and monitors it, complete with success/fail alerting.

This is just an overview of some of the more basic capabilities.

That said, I strongly encourage anyone who needs to design, manage & maintain warehouses to look at it very seriously.

/Hans

Matt Houseman wrote:

> What's the opinion on OWB compared to say ERWin and Data Junction?
>
> Matt
>
> "Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> > Sorry, don't know that one. Have you looked at Oracle's Oracle Warehouse
 Builder?
> > (Check http://oraclestore.oracle.com > Database [tab] > Tools [scroll] >
 Internet