Re: Instant DBA

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:53:12 +1000

On 27/04/2014 2:11 AM, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> against that The "certification" industry is a huge money milking cow and
> while honest in general, there are some companies on the fringes which
> are trying to deceive both the candidates and the employers, with some
> success.

Let's not forget who started the whole ball rolling with the "certification" industry: Oracle themselves. Yes, even the "fringe" ones were helped and "blessed" by Oracle. Still are. No matter what.

> references" - in PL/SQL. Another guy told me that "EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS
> THEN NULL;" is an excellent way of "avoiding errors". I wish Tom Kyte was
> there to see that.

Hehehe! Love that one!

> doing the actual DBA work. DBA personnel comes from either a long work as
> a developer or a long work as a system administrator. There is no
> shortcut. OCP is not a guarantee that you will succeed. It is just a
> crutch used by HR people which is not all that important after the
> inflation of titles. Experience is irreplaceable and is what
> distinguishes a good DBA from the cheat. DBA also works with people and
> if there are holes in the understanding of the DBA job or knowledge of
> the technology, the DBA will be found out and fired. Yee who are reading
> this group, do not fall for this "instant DBA" craze, ruin thy career and
> waste thine hard earned monies on obvious deceits like "Sunit Labs" and
> alike. For goodness sake, those people do not even speak English!

Amen! Received on Mon Apr 28 2014 - 12:53:12 CEST

Original text of this message