Re: So who is going to Open World 2010?

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:39:34 -0700 (PDT)

Joel:

# I'd go if my employer paid me, though I'd perhaps rather go to other things if they did.  I'd only push them if I thought there was something that would help us both.  I wish they were that mainstream or bleeding edge, but at this point it would only be for my own edification.

There have been some really good sessions in the last 3 years since the Unconference started. The idea of that is that presenters and/or audience organize sessions and vote with their feet for what interests them. Many of the top Oracle minds have done Unconference sessions.

It is a little unclear to me this year if the Unconference is still officially on ( hows that for a puzzling thought ). I think it is but the IOUG has an awful lot of sunday sessions.

The mainstream Oracle World sessions vary a lot in quality and content. By and large it is pretty hard to get a whole lot across in an hour and to get better tech content it would probably be a whole lot more worthwhile to have 2 hour sessions IMHO. Still there are a lot of good presenters like Lewis/Kyte/Millsap etc doing sessions.

Anyone who has never been to one of the OpenWorlds should really go at some point if they can manage to avoid paying for it themselves. Pretty expensive though if you are carrying the charge personally. Received on Mon Jul 19 2010 - 14:39:34 CDT

Original text of this message