Re: same application on multiple schemas

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 07:11:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 10, 5:38 am, Alberto <alberto.rol..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I'm designing a new big application.
>
> The application will be instantiated for multiple users. Each
> application must have its own "database", or schema, Oracle speaking.
>
> Every schema should have separate datafiles in its own application
> folder. Databases will be on a disk array, in common with multiple
> database servers.
>
> I would like to be able to separate schemas so much so that, when
> needed, a schema can be detached from a database server, and attached
> to a new one.
>
> Is this possible ? What is the best way to do that ?
>
> I come from the microsoft sql server world, and here each database
> (the schema in oracle) can be detached and attached with ease.
> I'm looking for the same in Oracle.
>
> any help or suggestion is really appreciated!
> Alberto

As mentioned one method would be to segregate each schema into its own associated tablespace and then transportable tablespaces would probably be an option for migrating a schema to another database. The export utility can however be used to export all objects belonging to a schema which could then be imported into a new database.

Oracle provides a free product called migration workbench that can be used to migrate applications written to work with several other databases to Oracle. You can find it on OTN (http:// technet.oracle.com).

Oracle and SQL Server are constructed off of very different base architectures. Make sure you understand the effect of these differences especially for the read consistency and locking model differences.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Apr 10 2009 - 09:11:11 CDT

Original text of this message