Re: IBM and Oracle - Let's Rrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuumbbbbbbbbbbleeeeeeee

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 18:29:13 +0100

Bill Martinez wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> In other words ... we don't know anything more than we did before we
>> read this.
>>
>> But for those who have to pay their mortgage and feed their families
>> the only metrics that matter are those that can be found at:
>> www.dice.com.
>>
>> As of 6 May, 2007:
>> =========================
>> DB2          3,419   8.9%
>> Informix       452   1.2%
>> Oracle      17,861  46.7%
>> SQL Server  14,171  37.0%
>> Sybase       2,355   6.2%
>> =========================
>>
>> If these aren't the numbers you're looking at you aren't paying
>> attention to putting the kids through college and your retirement.

> Are these market share figures?
>
> Shouldn't people consider things like performance, cost of maintenance,
> etc... if they want to put their kids through college?
>
> I notice that Anheisur-Busch has the lion's (clydesdale) share of the
> beer market here in the US.
>
> I don't particularly like any of their beers - should I drink them
> anyway just because their popular?

I rather think the analogy would be with a pub/bar owner, you might not like AB beers, but you'll probably want to sell them.

I don't personally like the analogy, prostitution and the arms trade both pay better than my job, and have more opportunities, but I wouldn't be regarding that as a reason to work in either of them.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA