Re: what sort of dba can you get for 100K nowdays

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 1 May 2006 04:59:45 -0700

gbarbour wrote:
> > Is it too much to ask for 100K salary? I don't consider myself an
> > oracle genius, nor do I don't mean to 'bash' the people I interviewed,
> > but would these not be the basics for even a Jr. DBA? is 100K not even
> > a Jr. DBA salary anymore (the position is in NYC).
>
> Compare!
> With apologies to the Scotsman and Napier University.
> Here is a typical DBA job showing renumeration; for Edinburgh, Scotland's
> capital city.
>
> DBA Analyst
> £22,776 to £26,471 pa (That is about $45,000 of your American Dollars).
> NAPIER UNIVERSITY
> Edinburgh
> Communications & Information Technology Services
> IT Support
> Post 1 - DBA Analyst
> Supporting our Corporate Information Systems,
> you will ensure services and projects are delivered in a customer focused
> way,
> minimising on- going support.
> Educated to degree level or, exceptionally, with substantial relevant
> experience,
> you will have worked as a DBA for at least two years and have experience
> of ORACLE
> and one of the following - SQL Server RDMS, UNIX (HPUX/ Solaris), Linux
> or Windows Operating Systems.
> You must be able to work effectively under pressure, document work, have
> project experience and be customer focused.
>
> I can only dream of $100,000 DBA jobs over here. And yes, the cost of living
> in Edinburgh is high.

It's all supply and demand right?

Is the supply high over there and demand low?

Currently in the States the IT employment ( after plunging big time in late 2001/2002 ) has bounced back.

It won't last for ever but market for oracle professionals including DBA positions is pretty good at the moment, varies city by city and region by region somewhat. Received on Mon May 01 2006 - 06:59:45 CDT