Re: Oracle licence question

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_sqlserverfaq.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:17:28 -0000

> I still have noticed that the majority of 'SQL Server developers' I have
> met use T-SQL when a single SQL statement will suffice.

I think most people who work within the database professional will tell you inexperienced developers prefer to code using cursors, thats not a vendor thing, its simply because thats the experience they have and its how 3gl, 4gl languages tend to work.

Now if you are saying nobody in Oracle uses cursors, well, I think I would have to fall off my chair laughing.

Getting developers to think in sets is difficult, I mean - did you start your SQL career with the full ability to write complex queries with derived tables, sub-queries etc... or did, like most, learn through experience and training?

The last Oracle developer I met thought it was a bug in SQL Server that you could do this...

BEGIN TRAN CREATE TABLE .... ROLLBACK TRAN He just couldn't get his head round DDL transactions.

--
Tony Rogerson
SQL Server MVP