Re: checking status on two listeners on one server

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2006 10:11:17 -0800

>So the only confusion left is with how lsnrctl status seems to behave

Just so I understand - when you do the 'ps -ef', do you see two listener processes, each running from a different HOME?

>And we started the new listener from that directory.

I'm really not convinced that the directory from which you run the listener is a factor here - in my (limited) experience, the listener process that will be launched depends on your listener.ora, and on the current ORACLE_SID: the executables that will be launched will be the ones from the ORACLE_HOME which corresponds to the current ORACLE_SID in your /etc/oratab file. I could be wrong there, but that certainly has been the case in the trials that I've gone through.

>We did create separate listener.ora and tnsnames.ora

As above: a variable which I found important is what your current ORACLE_SID was when you launched lsnrctl: if you look in your /etc/oratab, each SID will have its own home. If these are not all the same, then the executable which will launch will be the one located in the ORACLE_HOME for the current ORACLE_SID in /etc/oratab. This made my day kind of rough when I was trying to consolidate my listeners - I had to change my ORACLE_SID to the correct value for the executable I wanted to launch; if my ORACLE_SID was set to another value, whose ORACLE_HOME was different, I'd be running different executables.

It was all very confusing for awhile. ;) Received on Fri Feb 24 2006 - 12:11:17 CST