Re: informix market share

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:02:48 -0800

RollForward Wizard wrote:

> If I have to wade through a lot of documentation to find what I
> need then the software as a collective work is not "easy" to use.

You may be able to use some products without reading documentation. But you will not be competent. Even MS Access requires training if you want to use it for more than electronic 3x5 cards.

> This is not unique to Oracle, SQL-Server has a lot of problems too, with some
> very limited ways to do things. If it takes a longer time to be productive
> on oneproduct vs another, then you can say one is "easier" to use than the
> other.

And you've seen double-blind studies conducted by university researchers on this or you are about to tell us about a friend of your aunt Millie who once had to optimize a SQL statement.

> I have yet to have an easy-to-use experience with Oracle, compared
> with other products.

Maybe that says something about you. I can direct you to someone that will say the exact opposite. So this is fluff and should be discounted.

> As a business person I know what works in providing solutions,

Must be lonely at the top with more than 98% of the people on the planet disagreeing with your choice.

> Larry never sold technology, he sells dreams of great
> technology that people with more money than brains buy into, and then
> push it down on to people with brains and tell them to make it work.

Yep the entire world is stupid and you, and only you, know what is best. So how come you aren't the CTO of a major corporation?

> The Oracle engine has not improved a lot and remains the same as it was
> 10 years ago. Take away the big apps, and Oracle has no value.

ROFL.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org