Re: replace Oracle 8 with Oracle 9i

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_no_spam_at_not_here.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:48:36 -0500

Peter Sylvester wrote:
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:

>> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:45:33 -0500, Jim Pistrang <jim_at_jpcr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Customer is upgrading an NT to Win3000, and I want to upgrade their
>>> Oracle 8 to Oracle 9i.  I would prefer to just delete the entire
>>> Oracle 8 environment and do a clean install of 9i.  Do I need to run
>>> an uninstaller to remove Oracle 8, or can I just delete the entire
>>> oracle folder from the D drive?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> Not installing Oracle 9i next to Oracle 8 in a *different Oracle home*
>> is one safe way to disaster.
>> Just deleting Oracle 8 from the D: drive is the most safest.
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

> You need to remove c:\program files\oracle as well as a bunch of
> registry stuff as well. There's a metalink doc on it if you want to get
> real clean, but getting the obvious registry stuff usually works ok.
>
> HKLM\software\oracle
> HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\services\Oracle*
>
> You'll need a reboot to clear the deleted services.
> Use oradim to recreate any services needed for existing databases (also
> see the migration stuff...).
>
> --Peter

But wait, there's more...

If you have existing DBs that you care about, you should save off the listener configuration (OH\network\admin) and initialization files (OH\database). These can be recreated if you've already trashed them, but why bother making more work...

--Peter Received on Tue Nov 29 2005 - 17:48:36 CST